November 5th, during the CIAM annual congress in Mexico City, CIAM and continental alliance ECSA formalised cooperation and harmony among the two organisations with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). The MOU promotes cooperation and international harmony among CIAM and the continental alliances.
Signed by ECSA President Alfons Karabuda and CIAM President Eddie Schwartz, the MoU’s goal is to establish moral and legal principles between ECSA and CIAM. This includes, among others:
- Proactively coordinating activities and communications in CIAM’s role as the unified global voice of music creators;
- Advocating and supporting the legal and moral rights of music creators;
- Promotion of the reputational and commercial interests of music creators and their musical works;
- Promotion and advocacy for high quality, accurate data identifying musical works and initiatives to improve data quality and accuracy;
- Supporting collective management organisations and promoting the equitable inclusion of music creators in their governance structure.
Initiated in 2006 under the framework of the European Composers’ Congress, ECSA was created with support from over 30 associations of composers representing all genres of music, speaking in a unified voice in Europe. Its mission is to defend and promote the rights of authors of music at the national, European and international level. CIAM, established in 1966, is the global voice of some 500,000 professional music creators, uniting organizations on five continents. CIAM defends the professional environment for music creators, as well as promoting their cultural, economic and legal interests.